A group of initiatives known as International Experience Canada (IEC) allows young people from participating countries to visit, live and work there for a while. After completing one of the IEC modules, foreign nationals can apply for a work permit in Canada without conducting a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). IEC grants work permits with a maximum one-year validity period that allows temporary residence in Canada.

Applicants must meet certain eligibility criteria to participate in the IEC, such as being a citizen of a country with a bilateral youth mobility agreement with Canada, having a valid passport for their stay, and meeting the age requirements for the specific category they are applying under.

International Experience Class

The IEC uses an invitation and pooling method. Eligible candidates build an online profile and are added to an applicant pool. Candidates are chosen from the pool regularly and invited to apply for a work. Typically, the selection procedure is based on a first-come, first-served basis.

It is crucial to remember that the number of available slots in the IEC program is limited and varies depending on bilateral agreements between Canada and participating nations. As a result, checking our website to get the most up-to-date information on eligibility conditions and application procedures is advised.

The International Experience Canada program provides an excellent chance for young people to obtain practical professional experience, visit Canada, and engage in a new culture. It’s a well-known program that has assisted thousands of young people in launching their careers and creating entrepreneurs class, lasting memories worldwide.

About the process

International Experience Canada (IEC) allows youth to travel and work in Canada for up to two years. There are three types of employment and travel opportunities available:

  • Working Holiday
  • Young Professionals
  • International Co-op (Internship)

You can apply for one or more of these three categories as a partner country citizen. Additionally, if you are not a citizen of a partner nation, you still have the chance to get appointment for IEC through an acknowledged organization.

Who is eligible to participate?

  • You must have a Youth Mobility Agreement with Canada in your native country or territory.
  • You can use a well-known organization.

Some countries limit your participation to one time. Others permit you to participate again in various categories. Because each country is different, you should check to determine if you are eligible to apply. Even if you are invited to apply, you cannot participate more than once nationwide. Following submitting your application, an officer will evaluate your eligibility, including previous participation. Before applying, ensure you have read and comprehended all the prerequisites.


Your dependents cannot accompany you to Canada under the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. However, you can apply for a visit, study, or work in Canada. We will review your application independently of theirs.

How the pools work

In most cases, your profile will remain in the pool until:

  • You are welcome to apply for a work permit, or you contact us.
  • At the end of the season or year, all the profiles from the collection (s) get deleted.
  • You are no longer qualified for IEC.

Invites are sent to the applicants in the IEC collections regularly. Check the calendar to find out more:

  • When the invitation rounds for each country and category will begin and end
  • The number of candidates in the pools, as well as
  • This season’s prospects of receiving an invitation.

You can submit an IEC profile and copy or make a note of the personal reference code we give you at the end of the questionnaire. File at any time throughout the IEC season. If you submit your application before the cutoff for your country’s final round of invites, you may be invited to apply for a work visa.

One IEC profile in several pools

You can be eligible for several IEC pools, but you can only have one active IEC profile at any moment. Once you’ve completed your profile, we’ll let you know which collections are available. You can send your information to any of the accessible pools. For example, you can submit your profile to the Working Holiday and Young Professionals pools.

How Application Invitations Are Issued

In the following order, invitations to apply are issued:

  • Internship in International Co-op
  • Young professionals
  • Working Vacation

You will receive an invitation to apply for an international co-op category if your profile is in the international co-op (internship) or working holiday pools. You will receive an invitation to apply for a Working Holiday work permit if there are no openings in the International Co-op (Internship) category.

Prepare your supporting documentation.

If you obtain an Invitation to Apply, you will not immediately be granted a work permit. To obtain a work permit, you must:

  • Demonstrate verification of the information you provided in your IEC profile
  • Please enter more information about your education, employment history, and background.
  • When requested, give additional potential supporting materials.

If you are in an IEC pool, you should begin collecting any supporting documentation for your work visas application. Some paperwork may take months to obtain. You could receive an Invitation to Apply anytime, and you’ll only have a limited time to complete your work permit application and supporting documentation.

How to become a candidate

During this process, you will:

  • By providing your answers to a few questions, determine if you match the requirements for qualifying.
  • If you’re qualified, create a free IEC profile online.

Your eligibility for a pool in one or more IEC categories will be determined by the responses you provide to the following questions:

  • Internship or Co-op Abroad
  • Working Holiday
  • Professionals Youngster

There is a single pool of qualified candidates for each nation and category. Your profile can be submitted to one or more of these pools. An invitation to apply for a work visa must be extended to candidates in the pools.

Step 1: Answer a few questions

If you want to see if you qualify for the IEC pools, fill out our questionnaire. You’ll need roughly 10 minutes to finish. It will inquire into your:

  • Country of citizenship
  • Country of permanent residence
  • Country of residence
  • Student status
  • Job offer

Step 2: Complete your online IEC profile

You can complete and submit your online IEC working visa, and if your test is successful. Additionally, take these instructions to check your eligibility without signing in:

  • You should copy or make a note of the personal reference code that was given at the end of the questionnaire.
  • Register for an account.
  • When prompted, enter your unique reference code.

A unique reference code won’t be given to you. One is not necessary. Your profile will be started using the questionnaire answers you provided. You’ll need your passport to finish your profile. You have to include this information:

  • Identity
  • Contact information

Step 3: Submit your profile

After submitting the profile, a suitable option will become available. Your profile will be accepted by any of these pools that accept submissions. Make sure you are aware of the appropriate category before submitting your profile.

Important Information: Submitting an IEC profile is not a work permit application. To begin a work permit application, you require an invitation to apply.

If you choose to apply, firstly you have to make an appointment:

  • Submit your application for a work permit.
  • Get consultant for visas
  • Apply visa application and pay your fees.

An IEC work permit can only be applied for in this manner.

If you get an ITA

You’ll get a port of entry letter of introduction in your account if you get an ITA and your work permit application is accepted. Nothing in this message assures that you’ll

  • Be granted entry to Canada
  • When you arrive, obtain a work permit.

The border services officer will make the ultimate decision about your admission.

Organizations that have been approved by International Experience Canada

Work permits only for specific employers

  • International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE)
  • Association for the International Exchange of Students in Economics and Commerce (AIESEC)
  • Academic Internship Council (AIC)
  • Mennonite Central Committee of Canada / International Volunteer Exchange Program (MCC/IVEP)
  • Canadian Host Family Association (CHFA) with Communicating for Agriculture Education Programs (CAEP)
  • International Rural Exchange (IRE)
  • University of Alberta
  • University of New Brunswick

Open work permit only

  • SWAP Working Holidays
  • Go International

Both categories

  • INTERNeX International Exchange
  • Stepwest