Self Employed Immigration Canada

The Self-Employed stream is one of the immigration programs provided by the Canadian government. It is planned for people with suitable expertise who want to work for themselves in Canada. This stream is specifically designed for individuals who have the potential to make substantial contributions to the country’s cultural, sporting, and agri-food immigration sectors.

Applicants must meet specific criteria to be eligible for the Self-Employed stream. They must have at least two years of self-employment experience in cultural events, athletics, or farm management. The Experience should be world-class or substantially contribute to the Canadian cultural or athletic scene. Applicants should also have the desire and ability to establish themselves in Canada and significantly contribute to their discipline.

About the process of self employed immigration canada

self employed immigration canada | Khanna Immigration | self employed immigration Canada requirements
self employed immigration canada | Khanna Immigration | self employed immigration Canada requirements

The Self-employed Immigration Program Canada allows self-employed individuals to immigrate to Canada permanently. If you are willing to immigrate through this program, then you must

  • Possess suitable expertise in cultural or athletic pursuits.
  • Be ready to contribute substantially to Canada’s cultural or athletic life.

    How can I qualify as a self-employed person to immigrate to Canada?

    To be eligible as a self-employed person, you must have two years of applicable experience and showcase your commitment to working independently in Canada with work visa. Additionally, you need to achieve a minimum of 35 points on a selection grid that evaluates your economic contribution potential to Canada.

    Self-Employed Persons Program Eligibility Requirements

    A foreign national must first fit the self-employed person defined by the Government of Canada to be deemed eligible for assessment. A self-employed immigrant Canada individual has appropriate self-employed Experience in a cultural or sporting activity.

    Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) defines relevant experience as a minimum of two years of self-employment or involvement in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level.

    Work experience that is relevant

    • Participated in world-class cultural or sporting events.
    • Being self-employed in cultural or sporting activities.

    Selection criteria

    We evaluate you based on criteria such as your:

    • Experience
    • Education
    • Age
    • Language abilities
    • Adaptability

    Immigration to Canada for Business

    The Canadian Self-Employed Program aims to attract individuals with the intention and ability to work for themselves in Canada. Please note that self-employed individuals who wish to settle in Quebec are not eligible for this program and should instead apply through the Quebec Self-Employed Program. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess relevant experience and demonstrate the intention and capability to:

    • Make a significant contribution to Canadian cultural or sporting life as craftsmen or international athletes.

    Relevant experience is defined as the following:

    • At least two years’ Experience participating in world-class cultural or sporting activities;
    • At least two years of self-employment in athletic and cultural activities.

    Factors of Selection

    Applicants who satisfy the “Self-Employed Persons” definition will be evaluated based on the selection criteria in the table below. If they want to immigrate to Canada as self-employed, applicants must earn at least 35 points out of a possible 100 points.

    Selection FactorsPoints
    ExperienceMaximum 35 points
    AgeMaximum 10 points
    Education Maximum 25 points
    Ability in English or FrenchMaximum 24 points
    AdaptabilityMaximum 6 points
    TotalMaximum 100 points
    Pass Mark35 points

    Medical examinations, security risk evaluations, and adequate settlement funds

    Similar to other immigration programs in Canada, applicants and their immediate family members are required to undergo medical examinations and security screenings. Additionally, they must provide evidence of sufficient settlement funds to support themselves and their family upon arriving in Canada.

    Activities that qualify for self-employment

    Professional Occupations in Art and Culture

    5112Conservators and Curators
    5121Authors and Writers
    5124Professional Occupations in Public Relations and Communications
    5125Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters
    5131Producers, Directors, Choreographers and Related Occupations
    5132Conductors, Composers and Arrangers
    5133Musicians and Singers
    5135Actors and Comedians
    5136Painters, Sculptors and Other Visual Artists

    Technical and Skilled Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport

    5211Library and Archive Technicians and Assistants
    5212Technical Occupations Related to Museums and Art Galleries
    5222Film and Video Camera Operators
    5223Graphic Arts Technicians
    5224Broadcast Technicians
    5225Audio and Video Recording Technicians
    5226Other Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts
    5227Support Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts
    5231Announcers and Other Broadcasters
    5232Other Performers
    5241Graphic Designers and Illustrators
    5242Interior Designers
    5243Theatre, Fashion, Exhibit and Other Creative Designers
    5244Artisans and Craftspersons
    5245Patternmakers – Textile, Leather and Fur Products
    5253Sports Officials and Referees
    5254Program Leaders and Instructors in Recreation, Sport and Fitness

    How to apply online

    These digital forms must be completed online.

    You will complete these digital forms online (for yourself and any family members 18 and up).

    • Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
    • Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
    • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
    • Supplementary Information – Your travels (IMM 5562)
    You must also complete these PDF forms.
    • You are not required to sign them.
    • Put these in your online application.
    • You will electronically sign for the whole application, including those of your family members, as the primary applicant.
      • Document Checklist [IMM 5784].
      • If applicable, complete Schedule 5: Declaration of Intent to Reside in Quebec [IMM 0008 Schedule 5].
      • If applicable, complete Schedule 6A: Self-employed persons – Business Immigrants [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 6A].
    If applicable, fill out and sign these PDF forms.
    • Print it and fill it out.
    • Handwritten signature
    • Obtain a handwritten signature from the third party.
    • Include it in your application:
      • If applicable, complete the Separation Declaration for Minors Travelling to Canada [IMM 5604]
      • Complete the Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union form [IMM 5409] if relevant.

    If you lie on your application for permanent residency, we may:

    • Decline your application
    • Find you ineligible
    • You may be barred from applying for permanent residence for up to 5 years.
    Using an immigration attorney
    • You must appoint someone to conduct business with us on your behalf.
    • Complete the form titled “Use of a Representative [IMM 5476].”
    • Sign it digitally or manually, and have your immigration representative do the same.
    • Include it with your application.

    An immigration representative (either a consultant or a lawyer) can help.

    • Provide you with information and assistance with your fee application
    • Assist you in preparing the papers and documentation you will need to upload
    • Respond to inquiries concerning the forms
    • Through their account, they can communicate with us on your behalf.
    They are unable to
    • Visit our website page
    • Click Make an appointment button
    • You can have the application electronically signed for you.
    • Get consultant with our professional team or contact us for query.

    After reading the statement, it is necessary to enter your name and click the “submit” button. It fulfills the self-employed immigration Canada requirements for your application to be considered “signed” as per Canadian immigration law. Additionally, you must provide consent for releasing information from your application to a third party who is not acting as your representative.

    • Complete and submit the designated “Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual” form [IMM 5475].”
    • Please fill out the form and sign it (either digitally or by hand).
    • Get your chosen person to sign it as well.
    • Include it with your application.
      Take your fingerprints and a photograph.
      • If you are between 14 and 79, you may be required to provide your fingerprints and a photograph (biometrics).
      • When you submit your application, you must pay the biometric charge. Otherwise, you may encounter delays.
      • Please do this as soon as you receive our mail instructing you to provide biometrics.
      • You have 30 days from the date of the letter to complete this task.
      You must pay your application fees.

      In most circumstances, your fees will include the following:

      • Processing expenses for yourself and anybody other listed on your application
      • The Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
      • Biometrics
      • Third-party fees

      Biometrics fee

      When you submit your application, you must usually pay a biometrics cost. Otherwise, you may encounter delays. The biometrics charge covers the cost of taking fingerprints and a digital photograph. We’ll send you a letter confirming that you need to provide biometrics and where you may go after you pay the biometrics cost with a complete application. You must present this letter when providing your biometrics. Your biometrics must be provided in person. If this service is available, make an appointment.

      Third-party fees

      Depending on your circumstances, you may be required to pay third parties for:

      • Medical exams
      • Police certificates
      • Language testing

      Our instruction manual can assist you in determining which costs apply to you.

      Photo specifications

      Each person on your application needs one photo. To scan and upload both sides of your image, follow the directions in the online application.

      Please submit your online application.

      Before submitting your application, ensure that you:

      • Answer all questions
      • Electronically sign your application 
      • Include your processing fee receipt
      • Upload all the supporting documents

        The Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a report published by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that evaluates the impact of hiring a foreign worker on the Canadian labour market. It’s a must-have for Canadian businesses hiring foreign workers through immigration programs, including the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and the International Mobility Program (IMP).

        The LMIA ensures that hiring a foreign worker does not risky Canadian job possibilities and that no competent Canadians or permanent residents can fill the position. During the LMIA procedure, the business must demonstrate its attempts to recruit Canadian citizens or permanent residents and provide explanations for hiring a foreign worker.

        To be considered for an LMIA, the employer must submit a complete application to ESDC, including information about the position, the company’s recruitment activities, and a Labour Market Benefits Plan (LMBP). The LMBP details the employer’s obligations to the Canadian labour market, such as training Canadian employees or investing in skill development. Before hiring a foreign worker, a Canadian company may need to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment for India. The LMIA aims to demonstrate the necessity of hiring a foreign worker for a particular position and to show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available. A positive LMIA, also known as a confirmation letter, indicates that the necessity for a foreign worker has been approved.

        Labour Market Impact Assessment

        labour market impact assessment for india

        If an LMIA is required, the employer must initiate the application process. Once the company obtains the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit. The worker must have the necessary documents to apply for a work visa.

        • A letter of employment
        • A written agreement
        • A duplicate of the LMIA
        • The LMIA code

          Find out if you need an LMIA

          Before commencing the hiring process, assessing whether an LMIA is necessary is essential, as most companies typically mandate an LMIA before employing a temporary foreign worker. According to an LMIA,

          • A temporary foreign worker is required.
          • There are no Canadians or permanent residents available to complete the work.

          To assess whether you and the temporary foreign worker you intend to hire are exempt from the requirement of an LMIA or work permit, you can choose one of the following options:

          • Review the LMIA exemption codes and explore the exemptions for work permits to determine if you and the temporary foreign worker you wish to hire are exempt from these requirements.
          • Select the LMIA exemption or work permit code that seems most relevant to your hiring situation, and carefully examine the detailed description provided for that code.
          • If an exemption code applies to you, you must include it in your job offer.


            • If you are recruiting a temporary foreign worker who is also a United States citizen, don’t hesitate to contact the International Mobility Workers Unit.
              • Presently living outside of Canada.
              • From a country whose citizens are not required to obtain a visa

              How to get an LMIA?

              Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) will issue you an LMIA. The LMIA application process varies depending on the program you’re applying for. Learn how to apply for an LMIA position:

              • High-paying jobs
              • Low-wage employees
              • Seasonal agricultural labourers through the Agricultural Workers Program
              • Employees through the Agricultural Stream

                How do you go about hiring an LMIA?

                You can employ temporary foreign workers via the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) to address labor and skill shortages. After obtaining an LMIA from ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada) through Service Canada, provide each temporary foreign worker with a copy of the confirmation letter, and we are here to guide you for your visas process, so make an appointment to get consultant with us for visa. An LMIA issued by ESDC is mandatory in this process.

                How do you hire if you don’t require an LMIA?

                If you do not have an LMIA, you can hire temporary foreign workers through the International Mobility Program Canada. You should review the LMIA exemption code that matches your job posting and fulfill the requirement of paying the employer compliance fee and submitting an offer of employment form through the Employer Portal. It is necessary to complete these steps before the intended temporary foreign worker applies for a work permit.

                Outside of Quebec, Francophone Mobility for Temporary Foreign Workers

                The International Mobility Program (IMP) offers an exemption from the Labour Market Impact Assessment Canada requirement for hiring temporary foreign employees who are Francophone or bilingual, excluding those in Quebec. This exemption benefits employers in several ways, including the ability to provide services in both French and English and the promotion of minority language communities throughout Canada. To explore further, discover the advantages of hiring Francophone or multilingual workers outside Quebec.

                Recruitment in the province of Quebec

                If you are an employer in Quebec and are hiring temporary foreign workers through the TFWP, the temporary foreign worker will need a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Quebec Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation, et de l’Intégration (MIFI) before a work visa can be provided. A CAQ from the MIFI is not required if you are a Quebec business hiring a temporary foreign worker through the IMP to know more about regarding LMIA, you can contact us for information or any query.