The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is part of the Express Entry system, which consists of three immigration programs provided by Canada. Candidates with overseas work experience without ties to Canada can apply for permanent residency through the FSW scheme.
One of three immigration programs offered through Canada’s Express Entry system is the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW). Candidates with overseas work as an entrepreneur class without ties to Canada can apply for permanent residency through the FSW scheme.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program FSWP:
- Within the last 10 years, you must have had at least one year of continuous full-time (or comparable part-time) FSWP work experience in a skilled occupation. We must list the occupation in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A, or B.
- Provide legitimate language requirements test results (e.g., IELTS or CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program) for English or TEF for French) to demonstrate competency in English or French.
- Have a high school diploma from Canada or an educational credential assessment (ECA) report from a recognized organization for international education credentials.
- Unless they have a genuine work offer in Canada, they must provide proof of adequate finances to maintain themselves and their family members upon arrival in Canada.
- Demonstrate adaptation elements such as past work or study experience in Canada, a genuine FSWP job offer in Canada, or a close relative who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in Canada.
Once applicants pass the eligibility requirements, they can build an Express Entry profile and be added to the candidate pool. IRCC pulls from the pool regularly and invites the top applicants to apply for permanent residency through FSWP Canada. Successful applicants who get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) must submit their complete application, including supporting documents and costs, within a certain time frame. The IRCC hopes to complete most FSWP Canada applications within six months. Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program FSWP for India allows qualified persons to immigrate to Canada based on their qualifications and ability to contribute to the Canadian labor force.
What is the procedure for applying to the FSW program?
Interested candidates must apply through Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). A candidate must be granted permanent residence in Canada before submitting an Express Entry profile. Only after submitting an Express Entry profile will an applicant be assigned an FSWP CRS score and considered in future Express Entry drawings for Invitations to Apply (ITAs) for permanent residence. An FSW candidate must present the following papers when submitting their Express Entry profile:
Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA)
An FSW candidate must present a valid ECA report attesting to the value of overseas education by Canadian standards to claim points for education. In Canada, five organizations are authorized to issue ECA reports. It is not required for educational certificates obtained from a Canadian educational institution.
Language Proficiency Test Results
All Express Entry applicants must submit the results of an approved language exam taken within the last two years. Accepted English tests include the IELTS and CELPIP exams (available exclusively in Canada). The Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF) and the Test de connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF Canada) are both accepted tests for French.
Candidates must give details from identification documents. A candidate and all accompanying family members should ideally have valid passports. If an applicant receives an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residency, they will proceed to the second stage of the FSWP application process. In this second stage, the applicant will have 60 days to prepare and submit an Electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR). This application necessitates additional documentation. Even book your appointment slot with our Federal Skilled Worker visa consultant.
How long does it take for an FSW application to be processed?
A Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Express Entry profile is valid for 12 months in the candidate pool. Suppose you are in the pool of candidates and receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA). In that case, you will have 60 days to submit a comprehensive application and paperwork to the Government of Canada. From the time Canadian authorities receive an Express Entry application until the issuance of a permanent residence visa, the processing time can be about six months to 2 years.
Other elements that may influence your processing time include:
- Your application’s complexity and completeness
- The officer’s ability to confirm the information provided in your application.
- Including a new family member in your application
Federal Skilled Worker Program vs Express Entry
The Express Entry system administers the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). The Express Entry system manages applications for three critical economic immigration programs, including the FSWP.